Archive for category dfs
The following steps can be used to remove a Dfs nameserver that no longer exists in your environment.
- Log on to a Dfs server
- Open an elevated command line
- We’re going to use dfsutil with the following parameters: dfsutil diag unmapdomroot \<domainname><DFSname> \<DFSrootserver><DFSshare>
- As a sample: dfsutil diag unmapdomroot \\DfsRootName\DfsFolderName \\Server_to_remove\DfsFolderName
- No need to reboot just wait for replication
The following are the steps needed to rename a domain controller; the steps have been tested up to Windows Server 2016.
Note: If your DC is also acting as a Dfs nameroot server, make sure you remove the nameserver from Dfs first!
From an elevated command line, type the following commands:
- Add the new domain controller name NEW_DC; we’re replacing OLD_DC
NETDOM COMPUTERNAME OLD_DC.companydomain.com /ADD:NEW_DC.companydomain.com
- Designate the new name as the primary computer name; OLD_DC gets removed and NEW_DC is new primary name
NETDOM COMPUTERNAME OLD_DC.companydomain.com /MAKEPRIMARY:NEW_DC.companydomain.com
- Reboot domain controller
- Now, let’s remove the old domain controller name from Active Directory
NETDOM COMPUTERNAME NEW_DC.companydomain.com /REMOVE:OLD_DC.companydomain.com
- Sync all DCs
In the event that you didn’t notice the warning on top and you went ahead and renamed the domain controller and you had Dfs services running on it, here are some instructions on how to manually remove Dfs nameserver and fix the issue.
- Log on to the recently renamed domain controller
- Open Regedit.exe
- Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DFS\Roots\domainV2
- Delete the key found under domainV2 and reboot your server
- Next, remove the Dfs share from the server
- Now you can delete the Dfs folder
Ever since we upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise, our branch office users started complaining about extremely slow logon and logoff. In some instances, a user logon or logoff could take over ten minutes!
- Folder redirection (Desktop, Favorites, Links, Documents, Pictures, Videos, Searches and Contacts folders are redirected to a file server in our datacenter)
- Roaming profiles (Users’ roaming profile folders are located on a file server in our datacenter)
- Offline Files (Users’ home folders were set as offline files/folders)
As of 9/30/2014, the AppData re-direction workaround broke Internet Explorer browsing – pages take a very long time to load while browsing using IE (10 and up). I opened a case with Microsoft and it looks like the slow down of IE is by design because we’re re-directing AppData and AppData, in our environment, isn’t on a local server to the users’ network. We moved AppData to our central file server located on our data center in a co-location. Again, this bit of information isn’t found on Microsoft’s documentation, so be careful before you go re-directing AppData!
We’re now looking into possibly removing roaming profiles and AppData re-direction because this is affecting productivity for our users.